Salient features of the Bond are as follows:
Eligibility for Investment
The Bonds may be held by -
- An individual, not being a Non-Resident Indian (NRI)
a. in his or her individual capacity, or
b. in an individual capacity on joint basis, or
c. in an individual capacity on anyone or survivor basis, or
d. on behalf of a minor as father/mother/legal guardian
- A Hindu Undivided Family.
- a. 'Charitable Institution' to mean a Company registered under Section 25 of the Indian Companies Act 1956 or
b. An institution which has obtained a Certificate of Registration as a charitable institution in accordance with a law in force; or
c. Any institution which has obtained a certificate from Income Tax Authority for the purpose of Section 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- "University" means a university established or incorporated by a Central, State or Provincial Act, & includes an institution declared under section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956), to be a university for the purposes of that Act.
Limit of Investment
There is no maximum limit for investment in the Bonds.
- Income-Tax: Interest on the Bonds will be taxable under the Income-Tax Act, 1961 as applicable according to the relevant tax status of the bond holder.
- Wealth Tax: The Bonds will be exempt from Wealth-tax under the Wealth- Tax Act, 1957.
- The Bonds will be issued at par i.e. at Rs.100.00 percent.
- The Bonds will be issued for a minimum amount of Rs. 1000/- (face value) & in multiples thereof. Accordingly, the issue price will be Rs.1000/- for every Rs.1,000/-(Nominal).
Subscription to the Bonds will be in the form of Cash/Drafts/Cheques. Cheques or drafts should be drawn in favour of the Receiving Office, specified in paragraph 10 below & payable at the place where the applications are tendered.
Date of Issue
- The date of issue of the Bonds in the form of Bond Ledger Account will be the date of receipt of subscription in cash or the date of realization of draft/cheque.
- The Bonds will be issued & held at the credit of the holder in an account called Bond Ledger Account (BLA).
- New Bond Ledger series with the prefix (TB) are to be opened. All investment in 8% Savings (Taxable) Bonds by an existing BLA holder will be viewed as a new investment under a new BLA.
- The Bonds in the form of Bond Ledger Account will be issued by & held with designated branches of the agency banks & SHCIL as authorized by Reserve Bank of India in terms of paragraph 10 below.
- The Certificate of Holding in respect of Bond Ledger Account will be issued in Form TBX or Form TBY as applicable for non-cumulative & cumulative investments respectively.
- The Certificate of Holding in respect of cash applications may be issued on the same day as per the extant instructions.
- Applications for the Bonds may be made in Form ‘A’ (Annex 2) or in any other form as near as thereto stating clearly the amount & the full name & address of the applicant.
- Applications should be accompanied by the necessary payment in the form of cash/drafts/cheques as indicated in paragraph 6 above.
- Applicants who have obtained exemption from tax under the relevant provisions of the Income Tax Act, 1961, shall make a declaration to that effect in the application (in Form 'A') & submit a true copy of the certificate obtained from Income-Tax Authorities.
A sole holder or a sole surviving holder of a Bond, being an individual, may nominate in form B (Annex – 4) or as near thereto as may be, one or more persons who shall be entitled to the Bond & the payment thereon in the event of his/her death.
The Bond in the form of Bond Ledger Account shall not be transferable.
- The bond will be issued in cumulative & non-cumulative form, at the option of the investor.
- The Bond will bear interest at the rate of 8% per annum. Interest on non-cumulative bonds will be payable at half-yearly intervals from the date of issue in terms of paragraph 7 above. Interest on cumulative bonds will be compounded with half-yearly rests & will be payable on maturity along with the principal.
In the latter case, the maturity value of the Bonds shall be Rs.1601/- (being principal & interest) for every Rs.1,000/-(Nominal). Interest to the holders opting for non-cumulative Bonds will be paid from date of issue in terms of paragraph 7 above up to 31st July/31st January, as the case may be & thereafter at half-yearly for period ending 31st July/31st January on 1st August & 1st February.
Interest on Bond in the form of "Bond Ledger Account" will be paid, by cheque/warrant or through ECS by credit to bank account of the holder as per the option exercised by the investor/holder.
Advances/Tradability against Bonds
The Bonds shall not be tradable in the secondary market & shall not be eligible as collateral for loans from banks, financial Institutions & Non Banking Financial Companies, (NBFC) etc.
The Bonds shall be repayable on the expiry of 6 (Six) years from the date of issue. No interest would accrue after the maturity of the Bond.